Tips & Tricks
Throughout her extensive voiceover career, Debbie has picked up tools of the trade she’d like to share with her fellow colleagues and clients. Hiring tips about how to protect your voice and pronounce tricky words. For clients, there are various tips on how to work with your talent, from hiring to directing.
Top 10 things to consider when hiring your voice talent
You found a voice you like and their demo sounds great! Now what? Here are a few things to think about before you
- Can they deliver the same sound for you?
- Can the talent provide you with a sound sample of your script?
- Are they a strong reader? (This saves time and money!)
- Do you know the tone and tempo you desire for this project? Male or female?
- Can they be efficient?- Get it? Got it! Good! (This saves you money too!)
- Are there things they can do to make your life easier? Can they edit the audio files so you don’t have to? Can
they edit copy if need be, and catch errors if they exist?
- Do they ask smart questions about the script? (Who is the audience? Why am I talking to them? Where is this
- Are there timing considerations that have to be met? And can they be efficient?
- Have they followed your instructions?
- Do you need someone who can collaborate with you and does this person to bring ideas to your project?